Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Hummingbird Bakery : Guest Post from Beachbrights


Hello Attempting Creative Readers! My name is Beachbrights and I am a Decorator, Organizer, Shopper, Blogger, Cook, Seamstress, Book Reviewer and Herder of Son & Husband (not necessarily in this order).

Those of you who know me, know I can't bake. Cook, yes. Bake, no and yes, there is a difference. However, that has all changed my friends. I now can bake cupcakes. Here is my review of this simply marvelous, magical cupcake recipe book. Buy it. I promise your cupcakes will be TO. DIE. FOR.


The Hummingbird Bakery Cupcake Kit
*contains cookbook & 100 cupcake cases
by Tarek Malouf
Feb 28, 2010
ISBN-13: 978-1845979935

My Review: For this review I completed the vanilla cupcakes recipe (page 16) with vanilla icing (page 11). Honestly, I wanted to try the red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese icing but I have never had success with baking cupcakes and I did not want to try a recipe that required any additional work than necessary. The vanilla cupcakes turned out so delicious and perfect, I wish I had made the red velvet. Now I have the confidence to make both. Honestly, when I tell you I can't bake, I mean it. This is my very first successful batch of cupcakes.

What I loved most about this book is the simple ingredients and small serving sizes. The recipe did call for caster sugar which I found I could make my own by putting regular sugar in a food processor.


I also had to buy unsalted butter and whole milk, both common ingredients but not what I normally keep on hand. Everything else I had (of course every kitchen will be different). The book is small but very cute and Peter Cassidy does a great job photographing all the different varieties of cupcakes & muffins. Several to cupcakes note: vanilla, red velvet, chocolate, lemon, strawberry cheesecake, black bottom, lavender, banana & chocolate, green tea, pumpkin, & marshmallow. Several muffins to note: carrot & zucchini, spinach & cheese, blueberry and maple & pecan. Buy this book. 5 stars!



*One thing I would note. I like my cupcakes to have a little more icing on top. Next time I will consider doubling the icing recipe.

The Hummingbird Bakery

~XOXO~

2 comments:

Delectable Flair said...

Thanks for sharing your review! I love what a multi-tasker you are and that you openly admit you can't bake. I am a newbie everything and it is so fun to see others on here who are so talented that I can learn so much from!

Jessica said...

This book looks awesome, my cousin loves cupcakes so I am thinking this would make a great gift for her!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails