Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Sweet Cupcakes, Man!

Next Tuesday is the International Day of Peace, and though I'm pretty sure tie dye and hippie peace signs aren't the idea behind the day, I can't help but do some totally rad, hippie things this week. Like.... this!





Tie dye cupcakes! These were so totally fun to make and even more fun to eat! (P.S. No, I'm not eating left-over frosting/icing from the jar as I type this. Promise!) :)




So wanna know how to make some for you and your little Woodstock-ettes? Alright, here we go.

First, get a box of cake mix or make a basica vanilla cake. I used yellow cake mix. (The red layer was slightly orange because of this, so if you want, use white cake mix for better colors. Though to be honest, these colors were pretty rad.) Then divide the already-mixed batter into six containers--or however many colors you want. Add a small dallop of icing color gel and mix well.

I chose to use the gel because the color is much better than food coloring--as in I can't mix food coloring well. Also, food coloring is liquid and may make your cake batter too runny. Yes, even those drops. It takes quite a few to get a good color.



Layer the batter, one color at a time. One box of cake mix makes 24 cupcakes, so I did one pan of cupcakes that started with purple and went to red on top and another pan of cupcakes that started with red and went to purple on top.



Here's the cool thing about these cupcakes. You don't have to mix them. Actually, you shouldn't mix them or you'll just have brown cupcakes. As they cook, batter from the bottom rises slightly along the sides, giving these cupcakes their awesome tie dye look.

See? Some of the green has come up, and if you bite into it, you'll notice the blue and purple are also lining the sides of the cupcakes.



Then let the cupcakes cool, frost them up, cover with some sprinkles... and enjoy!


Okay, so that was totally rad! And tomorrow - tie-dye shirts!

Photobucket




See something you like? Print it. Share it. Email it. But please, link back here when you do.

3 comments:

Reunion Committee said...

I LOVE them. So stinking cute!!!
I have to make them now. Great job!
~Tana

Jessa said...

How fun, will have to remember this one for our next birthday party!

kati said...

I love making this, in May I did it for my son only I made pancakes for his birthday... http://dragonflyfeathers.blogspot.com/2010/05/birthday-pancakes-yummy.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails