Thursday, December 10, 2009

At the centerpiece

As gift-buying time nears (and bills come due), my funds to purchase an elaborate holiday centerpiece are dwindling. So gathering my most creative genes and decorative ingredients I already had, I set out on a mission to create a magical centerpiece for my table.


Decorating Ingredients
box
screwdriver
wrapping paper
tape
picks (the things with beads or crystals in the floral department at hobby stores)

Step 1: Find a box, any box really, as long as it works for your table. I went with tall and long. Then using a screwdriver or scissors, puncture holes along the top at whatever distance works for your size of picks. I punched the holes before I wrapped so that if I messed up, no one could see the extra holes. Also puncturing the holes after the box is wrapped could possibly tear the paper. You could certainly do multiple boxes with different picks or paper.

Step 2: Wrap the box.

Step 3: Place the picks in the holes. In order to find the holes I had made, I used a thumb tack to gently poke around and make small holes. Then just push the pick through. Arrange the limbs of the picks however you like.

Step 4: Tada!



Lights really make the crystals sparkle, so I put small tea lights under the box to increase the "wow!" factor.

I can't wait to have people over for a Christmas party and share a glass of wine around the beautiful table.

More on the plate settings later.


See other Do-It-Yourself Holiday Decorations at NewlyWoodwards.
Dare to DIY

1 comment:

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

I like this A LOT. I love that you used a box. I wrapped a ton of jewelry sized boxes last year to decorate hutches, shelves, etc. Worked like a charm. =)

Thanks for joining in this week. You really flexed your crafty and thrifty muscles.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails