Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Checkbook Cover Tutorial

I'm so excited to share with you all this tutorial on making your own checkbook covers. Now that I've figured it out, all my friends are getting one for Christmas. (Fair warning.)


What You'll Need
1/4 yard fabric for checkbook cover outside (the light blue with white leaf prints or the multi-color dots in my covers)
1/4 yard fabric for checkbook cover inside (the teal with swirl pattern or khaki in my covers)
1/2 yard fusible interfacing for light- to medium-weight fabrics
Matching thread (I matched to outside fabric.)
Rotary cutter or scissors
Cutting mat
Ruler
Disappearing ink pen
Template - needs to be 7 1/2" by 14 3/4"

For the template, I taped together two pieces of paper, then measured a template with my ruler and cut it out. I've seen a few templates around Blogland for download. Those will likely work too.


Step 1 - With your template, cut one each of the outside and inside fabric.

Step 2 - With your template, cut two pieces of fusible interfacing. You may wish to make the interfacing slightly larger than the fabric so you can ensure the entire piece of fabric is covered. In that case, just be sure to trim off any extra around the edges once you've ironed on the interfacing.


Step 3 - Being sure to follow the instructions on the package, attach the fusible interfacing to both fabric pieces (inside and outside).


Step 4 - (I forgot to take a picture of this step.) With right sides of fabric together (interfacing outward), stitch on the long sides of the fabric with a 1/4-inch seam.

Step 5 - Press seams open. Then turn sleeve right side out.


Step 6 - Press the sleeve, making sure seams are flat. For best results, I usually iron the seams out then fold them and press them together.


Step 7 - If you have one, surge short ends. I don't, so I just did a zig-zag on the edges to stitch the material together and keep from raveling.


Step 8 - (Also forgot to photograph this one.) On the outside fabric and with your disappearing-ink pen, measure 3 1/2" from each short end (where you just surged or zig-zagged). Mark across the fabric with a ruler. Then measure 1/2" from each short end (surged or zig-zagged) and mark across the fabric with a ruler.

Step 9 - Fold the 1/2" line toward the inside of the checkbook cover. Iron at the fold, and clip the corners. (See photo.) This is to reduce bulk when you're sewing.



Step 10 - Stitch 1/2" from folded edge, ensuring you're capturing the fold. Now repeat these last two steps on the opposite end.


Step 11 - At your 3 1/2" mark, fold both ends of the cover into the center. Press with your iron. Now your checkbook will look like mine in the picture below.


Step 12 - Being sure to backstitch at both the beginning and end of your line, sew 1/4" seams down both long sides. (If you don't want to stitch in the middle, you can stop at the end of each fold and start again on the other fold. Just be sure to backstitch.) Then sew 1/4" seams along both short ends. Again, backstitch to secure your stitching.

Clip any straggling threads (like the one that I left in the picture below -- oops!). Put your checkbook in, and you're done! Your very own custom checkbook cover.


I realized as I was writing this tutorial that I don't have pictures for adding the ruffle. I will work on that this week and post another tutorial just for that in the coming days.

Kimberly




See something you like? Print it. Share it. Email it. But please, link back here when you do.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Great gifts! Great idea! Wonderful tutorial. Your friends are going to love this!!

Oh, My Darling said...

Love fabrics! What a fun idea.

Mary said...

Very cute! It would make me want to write more checks!

Sumo @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff said...

I love this! I'll be featuring it on my blog on August 19th!

http://sumossweetstuff.blogspot.com

Thanks!

Kendra said...

LOVE it thanks! Can't wait to make one!!

Country Mouse said...

thanks for sharing! Can't wait to make one...I'm so tired of my boring, black leather cover!LOL

Blessed Mommy of 2 said...

2 cute! Thanks for sharing! =)

Robyn@Something Pretty said...

I love this! Checkbooks are always so boring. I can't wait to try to make one!

Carolina said...

This is beautiful! I wish I was your friend so that you'd make me one... instead, I'll probably be making myself one of these lovelies!

I hope you'll stop by ExpectMoore and add this project to the "Pocket Week" Linky Party.

http://expectmoore.blogspot.com/p/pocket-week.html

Carolina

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

These are so cute! I love the colors!

Courtney said...

This is adorable! Thanks for showing how to make it. I am your newest follower. Have a great day!

Courtney

Haylee said...

I ran across your blog a few months ago and have had this project on my to do list. I'm so happy to report that I made myself a new checkbook cover today. My old one was falling apart and now I have a new beautiful one. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Hi guys,
I have to tell you that checkbook covers are really useful and they can save you so much space!

Jr. Williams said...

Men's quality top stub leather checkbook wallet?
leather checkbooks

Unknown said...

There is a lots of different style of cover are there in it.Check Advantage coupon

OGEN Infosystem (P) Limited said...

Thank you so much for sharing such an amazing blog and put valuable information in this blog. Get the profitable PPC Services and Digital Marketing Services in Delhi at Ogen Infosystem.
Digital Marketing Company in Delhi

Construction Estimating Services NYC - PeaceEstimating said...

We have also listed same leather products. We have minimalist leather wallets. You can read more about it here at beets leather company

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails