Friday, February 5, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie, Please

In full disclosure, I should say up front -- I have had a life-long aversion to chicken pot pie. I can't trace it back to any traumatic experience, but I see it, and I just run.

So, in all efforts of being an adult and expanding my horizons, I made my very first chicken pot pie.



And it was good!!! I mean, it's not my most favorite thing I've ever eaten, but I'm not scared anymore. And the best part - it was easy!

So here, for you, Papaw Jimmy and Nanny Linda's Chicken Pot Pie...

Ingredients
6 chicken breasts
1 can peas and carrots, drained
4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of celery soup

Topping:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
3/4 cup mayonnaise


Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Boil chicken; save broth. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces and layer in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with peas, carrots, eggs, and onion. Mis oup and about 1/2 cup chicken broth to thin soup a little (enough to pour). Pour over chicken mixture.


Mix well flour, milk, and mayonnaise for topping. Mixture will be thin. (That's okay.) Pour over casserole. Bake for 1 hour.


Note: I put a cookie sheet on the oven rack below the casserole dish in the event any spilled over.

Let cool just a bit before serving. Enjoy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails